Skip to main content

Signs, Signs, Everywhere There's Signs

I believe 100% that the universe (or God or Allah or whatever you think helps us be part of more than ourselves) sends us signs. They can be very subtle, more like a light wind than a burning bush. Or they can be so overt we feel foolish for not heeding them.

Lately, I've had the fire department on speed dial with all the burning bushes in my life. In the past three weeks, I've gotten multiple signs about multiple items in my life. There was the nightmare about an inoperable brain tumor that made it clear I need to talk to someone about a problem I was having with them. There was the conversation with my sister about husky rescues and rain that resulted in rain for the first time in weeks and a potential adoption opportunity (no, we did not get another husky, much to my dismay). There was the person who walked past my house five days in a row with a literal sign on before I realized I hadn't gone outside in five days. And now, another one just happened and I can't ignore it.

In one day, two VERY different people in my life mentioned that they have begun prioritizing their personal well being. One of those people committed to a 365-day yoga challenge and is now going on more than 500 consecutive days. She said what everyone always tells you, she picked something that she wanted to do and then just decided to do it.

It was that simple. 

I say simple. We all know it isn't that simple. I can't tell you the number of times someone has told me, "just get a hobby," as a cure for depression and anxiety. I know that finding something that sparks joy in my life or engages long-dormant parts of my brain is good for me. I know that after I get through the first week and make it a habit my body takes over and "the thing" happens on autopilot. I know doing more when those "more" things are what I like to do refuels me rather than depletes me. I know all this with every cell in my brain.

The problem is I don't know how to transition that knowledge into action. It is so much easier to keep working or sit on the couch or browse the Athlete website or waste time going down an internet rabbit hole. Finding something that I am passionate about is hard. And committing to making it a priority is even harder. It's like telling someone that losing weight is easy, just expend more calories than you take in. Obviously, it isn't easy or we would not have an obesity problem in this country.

But excuses and mental models aside, it really is that simple. There is no trick. We simply need to decide to do something. Whether it is eat breakfast each morning before lunchtime (ok, really at all), or drink more water (ok, really some), or only yell at our kids 20 times a day instead of 30, or find 5 minutes to meditate each morning before the day gets started, or even do yoga once a day every day for a year, all we have to do is decide to do it.

The best part, once we decide to do it, we'll wonder what took us so long. We'll wonder what excuse it was that seemed so insurmountable. We'll try to remember what was so hard. 

So join me. Pick one something that seems too hard to do but shouldn't be. Say it out loud. Commit to yourself and the universe that you will do it. Tomorrow, you will drink that glass of water. And then another and another until those 32 ounces are down in a flash.

The momentum will build and build and next thing you know, you'll be a fully hydrated, certified yoga instructor who might have to go to the bathroom a little bit more often.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Furlin Wall

Let me start by saying, no, I am not crazy. I really wanted a dog and didn't want to wait until my then-13-year-old cat went to the "final litter box in the sky." I had heard all the warnings about cats and dogs in the same house and I knew that my elderly, hyper-sensitive cat would not be too pleased with this development, but I am the human and I get to make the decisions. So a year ago I got a puppy. A Siberian Husky to be exact. This blog is dedicated to the adventures of life with the two of them. _________________________________________________________________________________ My husband believes that the cat is coddled and just needs to get over it. I, on the other hand, believe the cat might have a few good reasons to be afraid of this large, furry beast with enormous teeth and a tongue that drips rain drops of slobber down onto her toys. So we bought a doggie gate to create a "cat safe" zone. My husband affectionately refers to this gate as the Fur

Tears Falling From the Sky

It's raining. That is appropriate since today is my first day not attached to my little man. The weather kind of reflects my mood. Of course, the three practice runs we did last week were great. Then today was...not. The Gremlin woke up screaming at 6:30 because her diaper had soaked through and her sheets were drenched (she drank at least 16 ounces of fluids before bed last night, so it is no wonder). 2.0 has been waking up at 6:15, eating and then going back to sleep until I go in and get him at 7:30, so he was screaming as well. So the Gremlin and I went and got 2.0, sat in his rocking chair while he ate and cuddled for a little bit until the lure of the books was too much. After blowing her nose on three different clean burp clothes, she went to get some books to read. The rest of the morning went ok except for the fact that I decided to walk them to the nanny since we were so early, which normally would have been perfect except for the first sentence of this post. Good

Hi Ho Hi Ho, It's Off to Work I Go

Had to head into the office today. Everyone went along with the show this morning and we didn't have too many glitches. Other than the fact that someone likes to eat the Play-Dough. I gave her one warning and told her it was going away if she ate it again, so of course she ate it again. I know she knows what I am saying and is just testing me to see if I will do what I threaten. I tell you, it is hard to be firm and consistent. Especially when she looks up at me with a single tear in her eye and points at the Play-Dough and says "Doe...more...peez!" And as for the first day at the nanny yesterday... 2.0 was PERFECT. He stayed on schedule, went down for his naps with no issues, didn't cry or fuss and ate just a little less than each bottle I sent over. When I picked them up the nanny said, "he's nothing like the Gremlin was back then." No, he isn't, THANK GOD!!! And of course big sister LOVED having him there with her all day long. As for me, I